Thursday, September 10, 2009

Book review: Water for Elephants

Over the weekend I finished the book "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. This is a book that had been on my to-read shelf on Goodreads for more than a year. For some reason I hadn't gotten around to reading it until now.
I found this to be a quick, easy, and enjoyable read. The story was fast-paced and kept me intrigued throughout. I really liked the main character, Jacob, as well as his friend, Walter. I felt some of the other characters, such as Marlena, were a little bit one-dimensional, however. I also found the ending to be a bit odd. I don't mind an unexpected twist, but this seemed a bit too far-fetched. All in all it was a good, well-written book, even though it did not make a huge impression.
I have now started reading "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Yes, that's right ... zombies. I am a huge fan of both Jane Austen and zombies, so when I heard about this book I could not resist. It is entertaining, but I am finding it a bit slow going so far. I think I just read the classics (even those infused with zombies) a bit more slowly than modern literature. That's not a bad thing, it's just a bit of a shock after finishing "Water for Elephants" in a week. I admittedly wasn't expecting too much from this book, other than a little amusement. I am certainly getting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment