Thursday, October 29, 2009

Book review: A Farewell to Arms

I greatly enjoyed Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, which I read earlier this year. The Sun Also Rises is also one of my favorite books of all time. Based on these two reading successes, I decided to pick up A Farewell to Arms. Once again, Hemingway did not disappoint. I'm not one to read war books, but Hemingway made both this and For Whom the Bell Tolls very readable even though it's a subject I generally wouldn't touch. I will say that I thought For Whom the Bell Tolls was the better read. There were times during A Farewell to Arms when I got a little bit bored by the war storyline, specifically the part when the troops are retreating. The rest of it was fantastic, however. Definitely a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment