Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Small-town girl

When coming up with a name for this blog, I wanted to choose something that was at least somewhat original while having special meaning to me. "Main Street" jumped into my head for two reasons. First, it is one of my favorite books, written by my all-time favorite author, Sinclair Lewis. Second, it conjures an idea I can relate to—living in a small town. That is what I envision for this blog: a journal of a small-town girl.
So who am I? I'm a journalist in the small town of Tracy, MN. My husband of nine years and I are both in our early 30s. At the present time, our household consists of one dog, Weezer the Pugamo, and three cats, named Poopy, Buggy, and Fuzzy. My hobbies include reading, writing, bicycling, fishing, and playing piano.
I am admittedly something of a schizophrenic when it comes to small-town life. There is a part of me that despises living in a small town. I hate the fact that everyone knows where I live, what kind of car I drive, and what color underwear I'm wearing today. I resent not being able to go to the gym for a workout without someone commenting about my job. But for every day that I am discontented with small-town living, there is a day in which I find myself loving the many benefits it brings. I love the lack of traffic during my morning six-block commute, the (relative) peace and quiet it affords, and the many other simple luxuries.
Enjoy the ups and downs that life in Main Street America brings as I share the sometimes fun, sometimes exciting, and sometimes dull happenings in a rural Minnesota town.

No comments:

Post a Comment