Wednesday, May 19, 2010

As the wedding ring turns ...

Today is the big day. This afternoon I go in for an ultrasound/anatomy scan where they'll check for parts and hopefully we'll get to find out if the baby is a boy or a girl.
Last night my husband said, "Do you want to know if it's a boy or a girl tonight?" He'd been told about the "ring test" which supposedly can accurately predict your baby's gender. It sounded like fun to me, so we gave it a try.
He took my wedding ring and put it on a string. First he dangled it over my wrist. The ring sat there and then began to move back and forth. He did some searching online and then we decided to try it over my stomach. Again, it began to move back and forth, but it was much stronger this time. He tried it over his own belly (ha) and even over the cat and the ring just sat there. The minute he would put it back over me, it began to move. We agreed that it was pretty weird.
So what does it mean? That's the problem. It seems that this old wives' tale varies. Some say that if it moves in a circle it's a girl and if it swings back and forth like it did for me, it's a boy. Other sources say exactly the opposite. Most that I could find, however, said circle=girl and straight=boy. Very interesting.
There are many ways to supposedly predict gender. The Chinese gender chart says I'll be having a boy. Another site I went to with a guy who supposedly has a 94% accuracy rating, says I'll be having a girl.
I guess we will just have to wait until this afternoon to find out for sure! I just hope baby cooperates and doesn't disappoint us.

No comments:

Post a Comment