Thursday, May 13, 2010

More garage sale finds, and an emotional roller coaster

I hit garage sales again last weekend, this time with my family. It's tradition for us to have a mother/daughter garage sale outing on Mother's Day weekend, and it's gotten to the point the just about the whole family goes along. It's great fun, and I look forward to it every year. Some of the great finds of the day included a high chair for $15, Bumbo chair for $5, musical crib toy, and some various unisex clothing. Basically I got a ton of nice stuff for not much money. Oh, and my sister and niece bought me a few books, "to start our library." It all started with a book called "What Bounces?" (Spoiler: guinea pigs do NOT bounce.)
One of the worst parts about pregnancy so far has been the hormonally induced emotional breakdowns. One minute I'm fine and the next minute I'm sobbing. I try to hide it as much as I can from others, but sometimes it's hard. That damn Pedigree "Shelter Dogs" commercial can send me into a major tizzy. I especially try to hide it from my husband because I don't want him to think that: A) something is wrong with the baby; or B) that he's done something to upset me. Granted, he's sometimes clueless (find me a man who isn't and I'll give you a bright, shiny quarter), but I try to remember that, unlike me, not everyone in the world has constant baby brain. This weekend my husband is going out of town so we'll see just how many breakdowns I can have while he's gone. In all honestly I'm kind of ticked that I'm home alone all weekend and can't even go out for a couple of beers, so it might not be pretty. Yesterday my husband called to tell me that he'd bought me a "consolation prize" since he was leaving for the weekend. I got two boxes of candy (Dots and Jujyfruits. Warning: stay away from the purple Jujyfruits—they are not grape. I repeat: they are not grape. They taste like black licorice. Ewww!); a box of mini-muffins; a bag of Milano cookies; and a new pair of slippers. So, even though I can't drink, I can send myself into a sugar coma and be 10 pounds heavier when he comes home. It was sweet of him to think of me, and I couldn't possibly feel luckier to be married to a man like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment