Monday, May 3, 2010

Garage sale finds

One great part about having a fall baby is that I have all summer to hit garage sales for deals. I've always been a bargain hunter and love garage sales (or yard sales or rummage sales, depending on where you're from). There's always a ton of baby and kid stuff at these sales, and often it's in really good shape and cheap. So why buy new when I can get really nice baby stuff for really cheap? The baby won't notice anyway. In fact, I believe babies actually require very little. A hundred years ago babies survived just fine without expensive swings, play yards, and all that jazz. We just live in a society that sees that there's a lot of emphasis on children and takes advantage of that by coming out with products that we really don't need and charge us a bunch of money for them. So that's me on my soapbox.
Summer is a huge time for garage sales in Minnesota. Every weekend there's a garage sale somewhere. This past weekend alone three different communities had city-wide garage sales. Those are the best because there's one on almost every block. My husband and I headed out early Saturday morning to find some deals.The previous day his mom had already found a swing and a johnny-jump-up for us. On Saturday we bought an activity gym for the floor, a diaper pail, and a mobile that matches the theme we're thinking of using (turtles; the mobile has a turtle, frog, lady bug, and bumble bee). We also got two baby books, one on baby sign language and another on keeping your baby from crying or some such thing. We saw lots of clothes but since we don't know what we're having yet, we couldn't really buy any of that. (Whatever happened to unisex clothing, by the way? It's hard to come by these days.) There were a few other things we passed on as well. We have all summer to shop so we can afford to be picky. It's pretty exciting to finally get some baby items in the house, though!
I have my next doctor's appointment on Wednesday. I should be able to schedule my 20-week ultrasound so we can find out the sex. Just a couple more weeks to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment