Monday, February 17, 2014

Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement

"Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement," has been on my list of books to read for a long time. I've been fascinated by the Quiverfull movement for years. It's oddly appealing in some ways, and disturbing in others.
"Quiverfull" was really fascinating, but not really what I expected. It mostly talks about the leaders of the Quiverfull movement, not the families, which was what I was hoping for. I wanted to learn about families who chose to leave the movement, and found the really long chapter about the family that fought so desperately to stay in the church kind of odd. I never really understood why they fought so hard to get back into the church, after everything that had been done to them.
I think the thing that bothered me the most about the leaders in the movement was their hypocrisy. There are multiple women out there, writing books and editing magazines, all the while instructing women that they should not be working outside of caring for their families and homes, yet isn't that just what those women are doing? Does no one really think to question them about this? To me, that just made it obvious that for a lot of these leaders, it isn't about the Bible or doing what's best for families, it's about money.
Although this type of lifestyle is definitely not for me, I can definitely see why it appeals to some. There is something romantic about it. However, I can see how it could lead to abuse in some situations, when people take it to the extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment