Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Swimming Home

Like Denis Johnson's "Train Dreams," I'm not quite sure what to make of "Swimming Home" by Deborah Levy. In the beginning, I almost stopped reading it. But I found that I couldn't. In fact, I couldn't put it down and ended up reading the whole thing very quickly.  (To be fair, it is a very short book.)
"Swimming Home" is about two couples and the daughter of one of the couples who are on vacation. When a woman named Kitty Finch turns up in their swimming pool, everything is turned upside-down. Or is it? Is it really Kitty Finch who sets things into motion, or were they already on their way down that path?
"Swimming Home" is set over the course of a week, and not that much really happens. Even so, it's taut with suspense. It has stuck with me and made me think, which is what a really good book should do. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the ending. It seemed tacked on and not completely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment