Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Miss Scarlett, I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies ...

Last night we had our first labor & delivery class. I was dreading it. Big time. I think my husband was, too. In the end, it was much better than we both thought it would be. I've done a lot of reading but there were a few new things that I learned. It's definitely a great class for husbands who you know aren't reading the baby books. It would also be a great class for teenagers!
I can't wait until next week when we get to tour the rooms. I was also encouraged that didn't just emphasize using epidurals, but also gave other options. Quite frankly, I'm terrified of the epidural. I think I'm more scared of that than actually giving birth. Catheter into my spine? Catheter for pee? Not being able to feel my legs and move around? No thanks! I was relieved to hear that there are other options and definitely plan to do more research into them. My greatest fear, though, is going over my due date and having to be induced and ending up with a C-section two days later. I've heard it so many times and it freaks me out. I don't understand why things can't be allowed to progress naturally unless something is wrong. I guess I will just have to plan and hope for the best and see what happens.
I also learned that no photography or videotaping is allowed during the actual birth. Thank you, Jesus! Not that I would allow it to happen anyway, but it's nice that the hospital backs me on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment