Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The attack of Frankenfeet

How can a long weekend be so short? My husband and I left Friday evening for a three-day weekend at my family's cabin on Marion Lake in northern Minnesota. By the time we left, I was more than ready for a few days of rest and relaxation. Getting my test results on Friday made me realize that I really did need a few days off. The humidity on Friday did not help the situation. I didn't think it felt that hot, so I didn't turn the air conditioning on in my area of hte office that day. No one else was in the "back room" where I work, so no one else turned it on, either. I had an appointment to do an interview at 2:30, and when I came back, I looked down and was shocked to see that my ankles and feet had swelled considerably. They looked like someone else's feet, or rather feet belonging to Frankenstein's monster. I was terrified that I'd be stuck with them for the next two months.
I went home and we loaded up the car. Sitting in the air-conditioned vehicle must have helped, because by the time we arrived at the cabin my feet were improving already.
It was the first time we had been to the cabin since it was completely remodeled, and I just have to say, it is gorgeous. The old breezeway and garage were torn off and a new breezeway/great room, garage, and two additional bedrooms were built. The old section of the cabin was remodeled as well, including an updated kitchen with an island and even a dishwasher! It was truly luxurious.
On Saturday I did basically ... well, nothing. I sat with my feet up and read, put my feet in the water, watched the dog swim, took a nap, and went out for pizza. We did go into town for a few snacks and other supplies (we brought most of our food from home), and ended up buying mostly fruit. In two days we demolished a bag of grapes, a bag of cherries, and a whole pineapple. We were going to go swimming in the afternoon, but the lake was turning that day and it was disgusting. Dead fish and unidentified floaties that looked suspiciously like poop were enough to keep me out of the water.
On Sunday it was cloudy and rainy in the morning. My aunt stopped by late morning and we visited with her for a while. We had lunch and Tim had a nap, and then we went over to my aunt and uncle's cabin. Two of my cousins and my cousin's husband were there. We enjoyed a pontoon ride and then headed home, went for a swim, made a nice dinner, and relaxed for the rest of the evening. We got two inches of rain that day, so I was grateful that we got to spend any time at all outside.
On Monday it was time to head home already. We generally don't like to get home too late, so we spent the morning cleaning and headed out by noon. We also thought we might find something interesting to do on the way home. We stopped in Battle Lake for lunch at "The Shoreline." This has been a family favorite since my grandpa's time, and I had not been there for years. The food is still excellent, and my husband is still raving about the burger he had there. Afterward we stopped at Prospect House, a new museum in Battle Lake. The gentleman who owns it inherited the house and its contents from his mother. He has spent endless hours going through everything and has arranged it beautifully. During his work he discovered 200 Civil War letters, and has devoted the basement of the house into a Civil War Museum. It is still a work in progress, but is definitely worth the stop. I can't wait to stop in again when it is completed.
We finally made it home that evening and reality set in. The good news was that it was already Monday, meaning a short work week following a long weekend. What could be better? The fact that the Frankenfeet are gone. Yes, my relaxing weekend did the trick and the swelling has gone almost completely down. I'm very relieved and hope there's no sequel to that horror movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment