Sunday, September 5, 2010

Pleasant surprise



I was expecting my doctor's appointment on Friday to be rather dull, like most of them have been in recent months. The typical routine is to get weighed, have my blood pressure taken, listen to the heartbeat, get measured, ask any questions I might have, and head on my merry way. This appointment started out that way, but then I got a pleasant surprise. The doctor said he'd like to get me in for an ultrasound to check the baby's position and size. I couldn't believe it. I wasn't expecting to get any more ultrasounds this pregnancy. How exciting! They were able to get me in right away. I tried to call my husband but he didn't think he'd be able to make it for 20-30 minutes. He ended up missing it, but we did get some pictures.
This was probably the most fun ultrasound I've had. The first one I just felt a sense of awe and relief. To see that little heart beating and think that the little bean in there was really a baby was amazing. The second one was long and drawn out, as the techs measured everything. We did get to find out the baby was a girl that day. This one was indescribable. To see her little hands and feet, her little face, and her funny little movements was like a glimpse into the future. I was looking at what I'd be holding in just a few short weeks!
The baby gave us quite a show. She was very wiggly (tell me something I didn't already know) and demonstrated how she likes to press her big feet up against my left side. The ultrasound confirmed that the baby is head down, and at the time she was facing to my left. She peeked out at us from behind her hands, and made little kissing motions with her mouth. I was amused to see that she appears to have my husband's nose. Adorable! Her heart looked great, and she even did some practice breathing for us. Absolutely perfect.
She's also a little chunker. According to the ultrasound, she weighs an estimated 6 pounds, eight ounces already. That puts her in the 85th percentile. (Of course ultrasound estimates aren't always the most accurate, and can be off by a pound or so.) I knew she was getting big in there! It's good to know, really, in case she should happen to arrive earlier than later.
All in all it was an exciting day. I was so happy to get to see her one more time, and I'm even more eagerly anticipating her arrival with each passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment